[Mageia-artwork] brand/logo management, official/derivative

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 22:24:41 CET 2011

Hi there,

before posting this to the -discuss list (and later on on the web page
as soon as we have final versions), here is a point founders discussed
about the Mageia brand and logo management (regarding official and
community derivative uses). Your input is welcome.

We (founders) want to have a separate identity for:
 - what is officially released by the Mageia project as such,
 - and what is released as derivative work from the Mageia project
(being ISOs or other things).

We already have the official Mageia logo (waiting for
refinements/discussions yet, another separate mail), designed by
Olivier. We would like, if possible, to have the Mageia
derivative/community logo based on the official, so there is an
obvious connection, yet difference between the two.

See the Debian logos that give an idea of what we have in mind
http://www.debian.org/logos/ . It may be a subtile yet significant
difference, a pattern applied, a diagonal stripes mask, or whatever,
it's open.

Why set two logos? We don't want to have the official Mageia identity
face misuses or be diluted - there will be guidelines to prevent that
of course, but we still prefer to keep some tighter control over the
logo usage.

So to allow/ease derivative/community uses, we need to setup a
dedicated logo (still with important guidelines/purposes to follow).
There are several use cases that should be facilitated with that:
 - derivative/customized distribution release,
 - local communities events,
 - communities web sites.

In short, that would make:
 - official Mageia.Org brand/logo (the one chosen a few days ago) =>
strict guidelines, for Mageia.Org official releases only (and quotes)
 - Mageia community derivated identity (for local
communities/projects/initiatives that are tied to Mageia but not
necessarily officially managed) => strict guidelines too, but for
community/derivative uses
 - case by case management for further logos, with required approval
from the artwork team and validation from council or board.
 - exclusive source distribution from Mageia.org website (or dedicated
Mageia.org artwork website).

What's your take on this?

Romain