[Mageia-artwork] Window decoration

Anne Nicolas ennael1 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 21:10:50 CEST 2011

Le 03/07/2011 17:02, Max Quarterpleen a écrit :
> This has also been discussed in the forum:
> https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=203
> <https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=203>
>
> On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Thorsten van Lil <tvl83 at gmx.de
> <mailto:tvl83 at gmx.de>> wrote:
>
>     Hey,
>
>     the discussion also take place last week in the mailing list, but
>     I'd like to
>     do that in an extra thread.
>
>     To summarize the current situation:
>     The current window decoration (Ia Ora), looks old fashioned and is
>     hard to
>     maintain. It would also require a lot effort to port IaOra to gtk3
>     (needed for
>     Gnome3). Therefore we need a new window decorations and there are the
>     following solutions:
>     1.) use the default decoration of each desktop environment:
>     * Very easy, no extra work needed
>     * all work is done upstream
>     * no unique look for mageia
>     * different look in kde and gnome
>
>     2.) create a new decoration for mageia
>     * Unique look for mageia
>     * uniform look in all environments
>     * heavy heavy load for the devs (kde, qt4, gtk2, gtk3)
>
>     3.) Use other existing window decorations
>     * easy, just a few work needed
>     * the are decorations that exists for all common environments ->
>     uniform look
>     * relative unique look for mageia
>     * hard to say, what happens if the upstream developer drop the
>     decoration
>
>     >From the dev-side of view, solution 1 is the best. But form the
>     artwork-side,
>     I'm not very happy with it. Our KDE would look like Kubuntu, but
>     with a
>     different startmenu button. Although a lot of people change the
>     decoration
>     either, it's making a special first impression if it looks
>     different (and good,
>     hopefully). Thus, I would like, if we can go with solution 3. But
>     for that, we
>     need more information.
>
>     I need one of you, who will search the web for decorations that
>     exist in kde,
>     gnome (and qt). And list them somewhere in the wiki. After that,
>     we can take a
>     closer look, if this a practicable way, or if we better go with an
>     other
>     solution.
>
>     One extra note: It already has been mentioned, that the oxygen window
>     decoration (which is the default for KDE) exist also for GNOME2/3
>     and Qt

Except some comments like "I don't like it" or "it's old", some points
we should keep in mind

- ia_ora took ages to be integrated in both KDE and GNOME. Design part
of the game is somewhat the smallest part of the iceberg :). Technical
integration is another story.
- having the same theme for both KDE and GNOME is not only a question of
choosing an environment. More and more users are mixing GTK and Qt apps.
Having something uniform was quite a strong point in Mandriva and it
should be a mandatory point
- as explained in first point, developping a theme is painfull. If we
have a theme available for bot environment that is a good starting
point. Developpers can always decide not to develop it at one time. But
at least we have something ready to use.

Cheers