[Mageia-artwork] Meeting tonight

Dexter Morgan dmorganec at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 15:20:26 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Thorsten van Lil <tvl83 at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 29.06.2011 14:43, schrieb Max Quarterpleen:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Dexter Morgan <dmorganec at gmail.com
>> <mailto:dmorganec at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Luc Menut <lmenut at free.fr
>>    <mailto:lmenut at free.fr>> wrote:
>>     > Hi,
>>     >
>>     > Le 29/06/2011 08:42, Thorsten van Lil a écrit :
>>     >>
>>     >> Dear team-mates,
>>     >> we will hold a short meeting today:
>>     >> Topics are:
>>     >> * Window decoration
>>     >
>>     > Mainly as a Mageia's user, and also as a packager, I would make
>>    some remarks
>>     > about window decoration for next Mageia release.
>>     > We had several bugs in the past (at start of ia_ora in Mdv) with
>>    our own
>>     > window decoration.
>>     > Maintaining a good window decoration is lot of work, and I'm not
>>    sure we
>>     > have enough manpower to do so (or that it's the best use of our
>>    limited
>>     > manpower!!).
>>     > I would prefer if we use the upstream window decoration (and
>>    widget style)
>>     > of desktop environments (even if we have some differences between
>>    DE), and
>>     > we take time to polish the integration of most of graphics
>>    applications
>>     > (qt4, gtk2, and now gtk3 apps) in each DE.
>>     >
>>     > my 2 cents :-)
>>
>>    we need coherency between the desktops so we need the same default
>>    theme for gtk and kde apps.
>>
>>    This is why i propose this :
>>
>>    KDE => Oxygen
>>    GTK 3  => Oxygen-gtk3
>>    GTK 2  => Oxygen-gtk
>>
>>    We can't use ia ora anymore for mageia  2 because we would need to
>>    recode all the theme for gtk3 so better leave it in peace and use a
>>    new one.
>>
>>    As a gnome packager i started to package oxygen-gtk3 and i will work
>>    to have it usuable in our gnome 3.
>>

>> My 2 cents: I've never like ia-ora, and if I recall a discussion on the
>> forum, neither do many other people.
>> For that reason alone I think it would be expedient to switch the
>> default scheme to Oxygen.
>> But of course there are other, better reasons :P
>>

> Yeah, I doesn't like ia-ora either. And I'm with Dexter. We need coherency.
> So to sums things up, we need a window-decoration, which is available for
> kde(and qt), gtk2, and gtk3, or an engine which allows to use a kde theme in
> gtk (or vice versa). So one of us, should collect the available decorations
> which fits these requirements.
> Mandriva has a new theme in KDE, which looks very similar to the new GNOME3
> decoration. So there should be probably some solutions, without to much work
> for us.

oxygen is the best because it answer to all you pre requires:

1- Oxygen is in heavy development so bugs will be fixed easily
2- Oxygen-gtk and oxygen-gtk3 are done by the same devs as oxygen for
kde ( so point 1 is also valid )
3- Oxygen use all kde functionnalities ( like tab grouping, ... )

I think we should adopt oxygen for mageia2 ( and after )  and more
focus about colour palettes

my 2cts