[Mageia-artwork] [RFC] Artwork submission rules in the future

Donald Stewart watersnowrock at gmail.com
Thu May 31 11:31:43 CEST 2012

On 31 May 2012 10:18, Romain d'Alverny <rdalverny at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We need a simple, clear policy to follow in the future; that's a
> boring part of the work, yes, but not avoidable. Here's a start:
>
>  - a contribution is acceptable for review for inclusion if:
>   - the submitter can be trusted (that's a given at first, but any
> serious doubt in this matter should ring a bell),
>   - the submitter provides a contact (email is a minimum),
>   - a simple, explicit copyright notice, license and history notice
> (if there are source works) is provided,
>   - it is licensed in a way that permits free redistribution and
> modification of it (CC-By-SA, GPL, or more permissive; CC NC or ND
> provisions are not acceptable),
>
>  - a submission without the above notices (copyright, license, history) is void,

It should also meet the size requirements - I have had to upscale a
fair few images in the past which is not a good practice.

>  - in case of a conflict because of this submission, the submitter
> must agree to be reachable and provide assistance to solve the case,

This needs to be made very clear, as it has happened a few times already.

>  - in case of a doubt on the originality of the submitted work, a
> check-list should be designed and followed (using Web search tools,
> especially image search tools);
>
>  - artwork team manages the submissions and the clearance checks, if
> any. So that the list of final contenders are clear.

This also has to be the case, we lost a few months of work because non
artwork people stepped in without asking, although in fairness some of
this rests on me for not being 200% clear.

> By the way, for this also, could someone make a summary (or send a
> pointer) of how the decision for the current background went?
>
> An alternative to make this scalable is to restrict submissions to
> artwork team members/peers, instead of relying on contests.

Perhaps having a 2 tier system would be good, we create a page for
everyone to submit at, then we, the artwork team, select the valid
submissions to a second pool where final voting happens. Although this
would only really be needed if the submission was very popular.

> Thanks

I also feel that we really need to have our own server space, as
trying to make a flickr group that we can control and is verified as
official doesn't work. So once we have that in place then we can
implement ways to manage it far easier.