[Mageia-bugsquad] Change the version of cauldron bugs ?

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Thu Apr 26 22:14:04 CEST 2012

Le jeudi 26 avril 2012 20:19:15, Manuel Hiebel a écrit :
> Hello there,
>
> I was thinking, what about change the version of "cauldron" bugs to 2
> after the release ?
>
> Of course we can add some exceptions like:
> - the enhancement severity
> - the low priority
> - the Installer and Release media component
>
> https://bugs.mageia.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=version:cauldron+-sev:enh+-
> prio:low+-comp:install+-comp:release
>
> So this is for now 575 bugs, and I guess it will be less than that we I
> plan do to that.
> (the list still needs some cleaning)
>
> Then we can also add a comment, that this is an automatic change and if
> it was done wrong, we ask people to revert the change.
>
> What do you think ?
>
> (We could also make something like that for the End of life support of
> Mageia 1 in 8-9 months)

Any bug reported against cauldron should be either still valid in Mageia 2 and
therefore fixed by updates, or not valid anymore, so I quite agree. I see
exceptions, for example bugs in the installer or LiveCDs, unless we release
updated ISOs for Mageia 2 in a few months. The main problem is that we lose
information about the bug's validity in cauldron. Last time we discussed it on
this mailing list, IIRC the conclusion was that we needed to be able to set
several releases for the same bug and that a bugzilla update would allow it.
Another option would be duplicate every bug for Mageia 2, and link it to the
cauldron bug (I guess it's quite safe to decide that the Mageia 2 bug must be
blocked by the cauldron bug). It would be my preferred way in fact.

But I think this must be discussed with other packagers too.

Also, it would be good to have a report about open bugs in cauldron, per
component or package or group of packages, in a synthetic view, so that we can
have an idea of the quality of the distribution that is to be released (and a
report about Mageia 1 too to see how much bugs we fixed, how much we didn't
fix, what components have the biggest amount of open bugs, still in a
synthetic view... I know, I ask for a lot, and maybe in a few years I will do
it myself :))

Best regards

Samuel Verschelde