[Mageia-dev] i686 must be Pentium II ?

Stéphane Téletchéa steletch at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 10:11:36 CEST 2010

2010/9/20 Olivier FAURAX <olivier at faurax.fr>

> Le 20/09/2010 21:14, Florian Hubold a écrit :
> > AFAIK mandriva packages are not optimized/built for i686
> > (anything above Pentium Pro) but for i586. And i suppose
> > that's not gonna change.
>
> If I remember well, the long i586/i686 debate on cooker has been
> terminated with 2 facts : there are no massive improvements on software
> X (I don't remember which one) and we have to keep compatibility with
> some netbooks (OEM with mandriva).
>
> If mageia doesn't target these netbooks and if you can show real
> improvement, I think this can be discussed.
>
> Have a nice day

Well, since we are *not*  that linked to Mandriva, we could avoid this
problem by producing a netbook edition if needed. Why restricting our work
to i586/x86-64?

For some programs, there is a significant boost in using sse/sse2 (for
instance the mlt library, povray rendering, etc).

I've enabled them explicitly in mandriva some time ago in the x86-64 build,
and it should be the default there. If some arch do not comply to the "sse2"
demand, then we can discuss this on a "specific basis, but not limit
everyone on this...

Stef