[Mageia-dev] Art, Logo and Branding

Graham Lauder yorick_ at openoffice.org
Fri Sep 24 21:49:50 CEST 2010

On Friday 24 Sep 2010 12:38:41 Michael Scherer wrote:
> Le vendredi 24 septembre 2010 à 12:04 +1200, Graham Lauder a écrit :
> > Who do I talk to about setting up a Marketing Mail list
>
> We postponed the mls creation until we have a clear delimitation and
> understanding about the various sub groups who will need one, and until
> we can find what we can offer to those subgroups to collaborate ( ie,
> wiki, elgg, or any kind of tools, depending on the need, what is
> available and so on ).
>
> Marketing and communication somehow overlap if we look at the
> description on http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=marketing and
> http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=communication,
> communication and webteam may overlap ( as the web site is
> communication ), so could webteam and design, or design and
> communication.
> And webteam and sysadmin may also overlap too or at least, will require
> to discuss.

My first reaction was "NOOOO, I want my exclusive MARKETING LIST!!"
(note caps and 2, yes two, exclamation marks.  So restrained ;)  )

But then my consideration is that you are right.  We (people) tend to package
things in terms of job descriptions.  This is a hangover from our offline work
environment.

Marketing, website, education, documentation, graphic design: all are
communication, so lets put them under a single mail list.  The more I think
about it the more i like the synergies that would come out of that.

> So we thought that too much mls in the first place would be ineffective,
> as this would get too messy too soon.

The only problem I have is that important stuff can get buried in noise.  For
instance if a group of us were working on a mission statement, the thread
would not be busy and would disappear off the bottom in really short order.
The ideal solution of course would be a Email Subject/title convention, but
noone ever sticks to those in an open source project, it's hard enough to get
them to stop top posting!  :D  However a single Comms list would mitigate that
to a degree

> I can understand the need to have a list as it somehow act the creation
> of the team, but I think we can do better than a ml to do that, except
> that we do not have the definite infrastructure for this ( but we are
> working hard on it ).
>
> > I'll set up a pirate pad in any case.
>
> I have been pondering on installing gobby on the server, because it is
> packaged, and wait on https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Etherpad_FAD to
> adapt the package for our current host ( running Mandriva ), since
> etherpad is rumored to be quite complex to setup properly.

OK, they're horrible bloody things in many ways from a usage pov,

> In the mean time, yes, a piratepad would be a solution.

 I would prefer collaboration on google docs but pirate pads realtime update
is a killer feature at this point and so I'll put up with the other
irritations.

I will have breakfast and get into it

--
Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org