[Mageia-dev] Will this work for a build system?

Olivier Blin mageia at blino.org
Sun Sep 26 14:22:40 CEST 2010

R James <upsnag2 at gmail.com> writes:

>> BTW, I once calculated (test plus extrapolation) how long it would take
>> to rebuild every package in Mandriva on a low end 2 GHz Celeron server
>> that I had available and it came to about 80 days.

With a reasonably good machine, we used to be able to rebuild most of
"main" in about one day.

> Perhaps I was naive in thinking that compiling the distro could be
> done with distcc or even a simple queuing system that distributes
> SRPMs to nodes in the community swarm.  As each node returns its
> completed binary package, the queuing system could send it another
> SRPM to build.
>
> It would be cool if it could be done that way.  Why pay for data
> center space, hardware, electricity and big bandwidth when you could
> have a community-provided "cloud" for free? :o)

Because there are some authentication and integrity issues which are not
simple to solve: we have to be sure that the binary packages really come
from the unmodified SRPM (so that it does not contains malware).

--
Olivier Blin - blino