[Mageia-dev] i686 must be Pentium II ?

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 23:55:41 CEST 2010

2010/9/26 Giuseppe Ghibò <ghibomgx at gmail.com>:
>> - Intel i586 (all)
>>
>> - Intel Pentium Pro
>> - Intel Pentium II
>> - Intel Pentium III (Including some Pentium D)

(...)

> As I said I would see someone with such hardware, taking a CD of latest MDV
> or cooker and try to install to do something and do a report.

I did run mandriva 2009.x on a PIII with 256Mb of RAM a year ago.
Hopefully upgraded to 512Mb
Yes video playback is painful on original i810 but it worked.

> You are forgetting a midrange. Which is the midrange of not the latest
> hardware but a memory around 2-4GB RAM. In that set a 32bit OS is still
> consuming 30-50% fewer memory than 64bit.

Yes x86_64 consumes a little more RAM.
But on the other hand it :
- leverages SS2,
- offers twice more regular registers that are twice bigger
  (and yes register pressure is a big issue on x86)
- offers twice more SSE registers
- enables to actually use the RAM between 3 and 4Gb which is not
usable on quite a lot of chipsets.
- it makes easier to use bigger disks (64bit math for adressing
sectors on big volumes is expensive on 32bit)

And PLEASE learn to QUOTE ONLY THE APPROPRIATE SHORT PASSAGES.
Thanks...