[Mageia-dev] i686 must be Pentium II ?

R James upsnag2 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 20:36:36 CEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Hoyt Duff wrote:

> I'm coming in late on the conversation, but if Mageia-light is a
> minimal distro compiled for use on i386, there should be a package of
> basic build scripts and dependencies to d/l and compile any Magia
> package from *src.rpm with the appropriate compiler flags.

Even the original Mandrake of 1998 was compiled for i586 (Pentium
Classic or newer) so Mageia will never run on i386 or i486.  Those
platforms are pretty much extinct and i386 can't do POSIX threads
anyways.

Some distros still tag their packages as "i386" but I'll bet my
first-born that you'll never get them to boot on real 386 hw.