[Mageia-dev] A comparison of forum software from a security POV

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Sep 27 20:50:20 CEST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Ireneusz Gierlach at 27/09/10 19:09 did gyre and gimble:
>  I know you guys are talking about forum software only (I'm jumping in
> the middle of the conversation so i'm not sure), but there is a
> developer platform called redmine. http://www.redmine.org/ It's in Ruby
> on Rails and has like Forum, Wiki, Roadmaps, issue tracking and so on.
> As far as I know its GPL.

I think a lot of the constructs and principles in redmine (and other
trac-like systems) are not really geared towards a full distro type
system. Certainly I doubt the repository viewers etc. will be sufficient
and the forum component is also likely rather simplistic compared to
fully-fledge forums. I doubt very much we'd want to use anything other
than bugzilla for issue tracking (mainly due to the history, but also
due to the fact that the workflow in redmine is deliberately rather
simple and minimal and we probably want something more rigid).

With this in mind, if you discount issue tracking, forum and repository
viewer, then there are not many reasons left to make Redmine a good option.

Don't get me wrong, I use trac (which is very similar to redmine) daily
and really like it, but I'm just not convinced it would be appropriate
for this kind of thing.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie