[Mageia-dev] i686 must be Pentium II ?

Remy CLOUARD shikamaru at mandriva.org
Mon Sep 27 22:56:57 CEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 07:01:25PM +0200, Florian Hubold wrote:
> I think we should stay with plain old i586, but the mageia-light
> thing sounds like a nice idea, i must say. We should not do what fedora
> has done and abandon support for those older cpus at the cost
> of what? 1% performance gain? C'mon ...
Provided we stick to _lightweight_ apps. IMHO running a graphical
desktop with less than 500 MhZ is not worth the effort if we use, say
XFCE or LXDE. Better use really lightweight wms like awesome, dwm or
xmonad. We should also stick to lightweight apps (mostly console apps
and a lightweight webkit browser like jumanji. I’m biased, because
that’s what I’m using all the time even on new hardware.

That said, there are already specialized distro for this (like Crux)

Regards,
--
Rémy CLOUARD