[Mageia-dev] A new office suite ?

Graham Lauder yorick_ at openoffice.org
Wed Sep 29 19:43:35 CEST 2010

On Thursday 30 Sep 2010 05:42:48 André Salaün wrote:
> OpenOffice or LibreOffice for Mageia ?
>
> http://www.documentfoundation.org/lists/announce/msg00000.html
> http://www.documentfoundation.org/

Any decision will depend on timing, ie: Where LibreOffice is when a Mageia
build is avaialble.

Right now LibreOffice is limited in terms of l10n, that will change.

It is hoped that Oracle will come on board and contribute as part of the
foundation including the ownership of the OpenOffice.org name and branding.
The pressure for this change is not new, the OOo community has wanted a
foundation from the beginning and SUN, the original owners, had said that was
their long term goal.

There is some uncertainty as to Oracle's future support and that has driven
this initiative.

I've been with the OOo community since the beginning and I support this as do
a lot of the core active community members and a significant number of the
paid devs.

What I would like to see is the new Distro penning a note of support and at
this early moment, (only a symbolic gesture, I know) going with LibreOffice as
the default OOo version

Cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org