[Mageia-dev] What do you think about create a Mageia Welcome Center?

Thomas Lottmann skipercooker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 21:41:48 CEST 2010

Le 29/09/2010 21:24, Olivier Méjean a écrit :

> This is a nice idea
>
> Another moment to give information is when installing.  Currently there are
> several images for promoting Mandriva (they are available on any mirrors, for
> example here :
> <ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.mandriva.com/MandrivaLinux/official/2010.1/i586/install/extra/advertising/>
> )
> The time during installation could be used to give first informations so these
> images are to be modified. Another point is there are only in English. I don't
> know if it's possible to have localised images, i would be nice (but would
> take several place, around 2,2 MB).
>
> So i think there is also a need to rework these images so i would be a first
> introduction to Mageia.

Along with the Welcome Center idea, the one consisting in making a sort
of presentation or guided tour during the setup process is one I like a
lot.

If you look back in Mandrake's history, this was in fact used by the
past. Look this setup capture of Mandrake 9.1 Bamboo :
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f5/Mandrake91setup.png

Basically, there are two solutions :

- Modify the advertisement images into ones that show the different
components, possibilities and advantages Mageia has to offer. BUT
currently, they would only be images and this won't help localization,
as people would have to duplicate the images. Easy (I did it for my
Moblin LiveCD), but not practical...

- Looking at the Bamboo's DrakX, and believing the core of the DrakX
Installation Program has not fundamentally changed, I guess it is
possible to restore the ability to place texts on advertisements as you
can see on the screenshot. Translators would then just have to edit a
.po file to translate these texts in their own language.

I was also thinking that a calm music (that can be turned off) during
the setup process would be nice to welcome the users who install the
system in graphical mode (offering a visible text mode install is
perhaps also needed, considering that I had many people asking me for
this).

Without modifying the code itself too much, we would be able to revamp
the appearance of our good old DrakX as well. :)