[Mageia-dev] Identifying Target Markets

Kira elegant.pegasus at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 16:05:26 CEST 2010

在 Thu, 30 Sep 2010 21:34:26 +0800, Samuel Verschelde
<stormi at laposte.net>寫道:
> I don't know whether I agree or not, but I would like to point out that
> to me Mandriva is/was et Mageia will/could be a generalist distribution.
>
> Which means :
> - suitable for power users (if one can count me in this category,
> Mandriva is my desktop of choice)
> - suitable for your individuals (My young brother uses Mandriva Linux)
> - suitable for community enterprise and for professionnal actors (We've
> got more than 400 Mandriva Free servers in production in french
> hospitals, and several workstations here)
>
> I know there is a difference between saying that the distro is
> "suitable" for something and its marketing targeting , but I still
> remember people telling me "Mandriva is a distro for newbies, not for
> power users or businesses". I want to avoid this at all prices.
>
> If I were to choose right now, I would say  : advertise Mageia as a
> generalist distro suitable for many needs just like Mandriva is/was, and
> then have specific compaigns to highlight some specific usages : in
> educationnal fields, server usage, workstation usage, etc.

I think what Graham want to express is that Mageia got to find her own

position in the market, if we hope Mageia could be better promoted.

Yes, Mageia or Mandrake/Mandriva is for all purpose, but every distro can
be

all-purpose. The point is: There's no distinctive difference toward other

distribution. The failure of Mandriva SA business can be connected to many
factor,

which I believe part of the problem is that the product don't stands out

among competitors. All- purpose is good, but some personality is also
important.

"A distribution for Newbie" is good, but I think what Graham said is
better.

We have to find a specific portion of the market to survive, with something

stands out among other competitors like educational/small business/suited
for...

blah, blah, blah.

Just saying that Mageia can do anything would make new comers wonder:

So, what's the difference Mageia had toward other distribution?

We can still list out what Mageia can do, but some personality is

definitely needed, not just "All-purpose", that's confusing and

would makes Mageia no difference comparing to other distro, since

you can't speak out your major difference in aspect of Market share.