[Mageia-dev] Can Firefox be included in Mageia?

Graham Lauder yorick_ at openoffice.org
Thu Sep 30 21:22:26 CEST 2010

On Friday 01 Oct 2010 08:19:11 André Machado wrote:
> Years ago, the GNU project recompiled Firefox with a new name - Iceweasel -
> what is now used on Debian-based distros. Now, the GNU project has your
> own navigator: IceCat.
>
> Reason was a issue with Firefox logo and names, what are trademarks of
> Mozilla Foundation.
>
> So, my question: Mageia may use the original Firefox? or will we leave for
> any of these "alternative" compilations?

That is an interesting question, from a personal point of view I would like
the Mageia team to throw developer weight behind Konqueror, my favourite
browser, especially if we aim at "Best KDE OS". With Opera as a non-free
alternative.

From a marketing POV however, Firefox has brand power, one does not throw that
away lightly.

--
Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org