[Mageia-dev] What do you think about create a Mageia Welcome Center?

andré andr55 at laposte.net
Thu Sep 30 23:09:28 CEST 2010

André Machado a écrit :

>> - Display on the welcome screen basic hardware information : Processor,
>> RAM, video card and the driver currently activated.
> Can this be done using HTML pages or need some extra tool?
>
>> - A link to sysinfo:// that offers some hardware information that could
>> fit inside the welcome center as it is a simple HTML layout. On that
>> page, there can be a link directly to Harddrake to get even more
>> information. Getting system information easily is actually a thing many
>> distros miss, apparently.
> Is this sysinfo:// default or is implemented by any special tool?
>
>> But there should be a warning light on such a welcome center : beware
>> the windows-like thing. We really need to think about a new and useful
>> design.
> Indeed. I guess that Windows Vista/7 has a simmilar tool called Wellcome Center.
> So, we need think on a better name to avoid lawsuits...

Lawsuits ?  Unlikely.  It's a pretty generic name for the function.
However, it seems to me to be the worst thing we can do is emulate
Microsoft.
We are not a "Microsoft bon marché".
We must find another name for such a tool.
The more I think of it, the more I think that we should develop the
tools we already have (with Mandriva).

The MCC (Mandriva Control Centre, to become Mageia Control Centre)
already has most if not all the hardware configuration elements.
How about adding an information page to the MCC ?
This information page could be the default load page, with entry of a
password delayed until the user progresses further.
As you may not know, the MCC is just a script which calls the various
configuration pages.

As well, the MCC could use more complete documentation at various
points.  Something not very difficult to add, with a bit of work.

- André (andre999)