[Mageia-dev] Identifying Target Markets

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 1 09:37:52 CEST 2010

2010/10/1 Graham Lauder <yorick_ at openoffice.org>:

>> The families: if the kid wants a computer then either Dad buys a new
>> one and the kids get the old, or they buy a new one but mom has no
>> say, it's either Dad or the kids because the parents don't know
>> anything about computers.
>
> Nonsense, It's interesting I know quite a few German families here in NZ,
> perhaps that's why they migrated, so the wife could make the majority of the
> purchasing decisions.  ;)  I'm afraid that your impressions fly in the face of
> all the real marketing intelligence. Dad or kids buy the computers because Mum
> has been left out of the demographic, typical given the number of women in the
> industry, but target that demographic and Mum becomes decision maker.

I don't know about marketing, I've just been living here for decades
and been helping in the computer field for more than 15 years. I hold
computer courses entry level, I give advice with computer purchases in
families, etc. All my practical experience tells me what I've written
here.

> Every place is unique, but not as unique as we'd all like to believe, one
> thing that marketing tells you.  A good example is Micky Ds, the same
> everywhere, with slight local variations.

Nonsense (to use the same language as you do). You can't apply some
junkfood chain success story to computers and software.

As I said, I disagree with your points not because I am another
marketing guy but because of experience.

wobo