[Mageia-dev] Talk of Browsers

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 1 11:17:49 CEST 2010

2010/10/1 Thierry Vignaud <thierry.vignaud at gmail.com>:
> On 1 October 2010 10:44, Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Which extionsion a user wants to instaall should be left to the user's
>> decision. Make the install easy but do not install any extensions by
>> default. I've never used those extensions, except the developper bar.
>> Somebody told me to install Adblock and whatever, I did and FF became
>> unstable but not one second faster.
>> Maybe because I do not visit many sites with large ads and all that
>> bling-bling stuff.
>>
>> Anyhow, as a rule do not add any stuff by default that the user ought
>> to decide for himself, this is not Windows. We should not tell the
>> user what he wants to do.
>
> Then we shouldn't install neither firefox nor konqueror at all since
> that's a choice that the user ought to decide for himself...

C'mon, a browser is not the same as a browser extension. Of course
there must be defaults. But installing browser extensions by default
is too much "default" IMHO. Same as with mail clients. You should set
a mail client by default but you should not add any extensions to this
client by default.

wobo