[Mageia-dev] About Mandriva tools future : Host Mandriva tools on github

Fabrice Facorat fabrice.facorat at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 15:15:26 CEST 2010

2010/10/1 Tux99 <tux99-mga at uridium.org>:
> On Fri, 1 Oct 2010, Fabrice Facorat wrote:
>
>> This is about making some decisions about some tools. Some of the
>> Mandriva tools have outdate UI, cluttered UI and even are sometimes
>> buggy.
>> The situation persists since many years already, so at some point we
>> should ask ourself : are we going to rewrite them, notably the UI, to
>> make them be more 2010, or should we use another tool with another
>> GUI.
>
> Personally I don't see anything wrong with the GUI of the draktools.

there's many things wrong. Just try Wndows 7 or Windows 2008 R2 tools
http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/win2008r2/themes
http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/29/installing-iis-7-on-windows-server-2008-or-windows-server-2008-r2/
http://www.verboon.info/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/2010061520h01_291.png
http://4sysops.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/windows-server-2008-r2-bpa.png

> If imrpoving them means to rewrite them from scratch or replace them
> with inferior tools from other distros, then that would be a big effort
> and/or step backwards just for the estetics.
>
> Substance counts a lot more than appearance to me.

again you're somewhat wrong

iPod and iPhones are inferirors products technically speaking, but
they have better appearance ( good marketing, which is about
appearance ) and so are successful.

--
Close the World, Open the Net
http://www.linux-wizard.net