[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Jéjé jeje-mageia at sfr.fr
Sat Oct 2 02:11:37 CEST 2010

atilla ontas wrote:

> I'm just wondering if we follow Mandriva's release cycle model.

(...)

> One more thing. Do we follow Mandriva's release naming scheme? I.e. do
> we call our first release 2011.x ? I don't like this naming scheme and
> suggesting using number of release as naming like Mageia 1.0 or using
> code names.

> What's your opinion?

What about doing both :

o  First a conservative rolling distribution. There's a lot of demand for that kind of distribution, even Debian seems to think about a stable testing. It would be the way to use Mageia for the average desktop user.

o  In addition an about-1-year release cycle distribution, a "snapshot" of the rolling one, supported 2 years, more suitable for entreprise/server use or for people with very low internet bandwith.

I'm not certain it would be more time consuming than a 6 month release cycle, and it would please a lot of people.