[Mageia-dev] News about the forum

Maât maat-ml at vilarem.net
Mon Oct 4 09:08:22 CEST 2010

Le 04/10/2010 00:44, Frederic Janssens a écrit :

> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 00:14, Maât <maat-ml at vilarem.net
> <mailto:maat-ml at vilarem.net>> wrote:
>

>     Nota: Fud has got the very cool mailing list bridge that we should set
>     up rather as soon as possible on the official board (but as
>     already said
>     this feature still needs to be thought about, discussed by people and
>     heavily tested to avoid backfires... considering the current mailing
>     lists trafic and the obvious lack of love of some packagers for forums
>     this is not something to underestimate)
>

>     => The survivor is phpBB3
>
> As far as I know to have a mailing list bridge with phpBB3 one needs
> mail2forum 2.0 which is not finished.
>
> http://mail2forum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3574
>     says :
>
> Hi, the project is out of developers so you could say it is dead.

Hi,

We were prepared from start to have things to code for the forums.

That's also why a true opensource engine was absolutely needed.

That mean that we will not completely avoid to code some mods.

For security and troll control/containment/education we already knew

For mailing-lists bidge the need is something that we did not anticipate
but this feature is not likely to change all that's been done :
-- this feature is cool and that would be stupid to reject it ihmo
-- but it's not a blocking one
-- we lived long without it (and we can live a little bit longer till
it's added)

We are starting with a basic forum (with a slightly nicer skin than the
default
and a few mods and lang packs )

We have set up a low level infrastructure with git and other tools to be
able to hack
the missing features without without risking to break things or impair
user experience.

Once tested and approved feature will naturally end in the forum
(hopefully without issue at all).

The difference is only : we have one more feature to hack than that we
could anticipate :)

> Latest m2f 2.0 alpha release works but it is a feature-lacking
> version. It is being used by some ppl in production sites though, but
> this is not recommended.
> AFAIK there are NO mods out there that even get close to m2f 1.2
> functionality. Not even google/yahoo groups get close
>
> but the site also says :
>
> The m2f team are seeking new developers to join the project. We need
> experienced PHP developers who would like to help with the v2.0 redesign,
>
> So : would there be volunteers to help m2f ?
That could also be a from-scratch developement (and i don't dismiss the
option to take parts of fudforum gateway)

Obviously if someone (generous, noble, brilliant and skilled with php
^^) volunteers to help on that part he/she will be most welcome :)

All the best,
Maât