[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Tue Oct 5 15:56:21 CEST 2010

Quote: Ahmad Samir wrote on Tue, 05 October 2010 15:47

> Again a rolling distro is something that's not clearly defined. And to
> be honest, a rolling distro isn't suitable for new or inexperienced
> users. Simply because you can't guarantee that a new package won't
> introduce regressions (or totally break an app), in this case an
> experienced user will know how to revert to an older version, a new or
> inexperienced user won't.

I don't think you really read or understood my proposal.
I'm not talking about a real rolling distro like Gentoo, I'm only talking
about foregoing backported security fixes for newer versions with regards
to apps that don't have anything depending on them.

Mandriva already does that with very few apps (like Firefox), I'm just
proposing to extend that to more apps where it can be done safely.
A backported security fix can introduce as much regressions or instability
(IMHO actually more, because it's essentially a fork so less tested)than
upgrading to a new version.

Of course it's up to the packager to use good judgement, if the new version
of a particular app is a complete rewrite, then it might not be safe to
provide the new version, but there are many case where it is perfectly
safe and beneficial for the user.

> Look at the rolling distros that've been mentioned, Debian or Gentoo,
> right? would anyone recommend Debian or Gentoo for a
> new/inexperienced/non-power user?

Sorry, but that comparison is nonsense, Debian and even mre so Gentoo are
not suite for novices for many reasons, not because they are rolling
distros.