[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 16:27:20 CEST 2010

On 5 October 2010 16:21, Olivier Méjean <omejean at yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Le mardi 5 octobre 2010 15:47:20, Ahmad Samir a écrit :
>> On 5 October 2010 15:28, Tux99 <tux99-mga at uridium.org> wrote:
>> > Personally I think the way Mandriva maintains both updates and backports
>> > for each release is a waste of resources.
>>
>> How is it a waste?
>>
>> A practical example is the college professor / school teacher (see
>> Fernando Parra post a few emails back); he doesn't want to upgrade the
>> boxes in the lab, he doesn't care if they have the newest/shiniest
>> versions, just that the distro is stable and works(tm). The same
>> applies for a company, servers... etc. We aren't talking only about
>> personal boxes that can break without too much drastic consequences.
>
> No need to update. What on earth is that feeling that a rolling distro forces
> users to update ?

Really? they wouldn't be interested in security updates at all?

>> Again a rolling distro is something that's not clearly defined. And to
>> be honest, a rolling distro isn't suitable for new or inexperienced
>> users. Simply because you can't guarantee that a new package won't
>> introduce regressions (or totally break an app), in this case an
>> experienced user will know how to revert to an older version, a new or
>> inexperienced user won't.
>>
>> Look at the rolling distros that've been mentioned, Debian or Gentoo,
>> right? would anyone recommend Debian or Gentoo for a
>> new/inexperienced/non-power user?
>
> PCLinuxOS is a rolling distro and is to inexperienced users.
>
> Olivier

And nothing breaks? no critical apps get broken in that model?

Personally I haven't use PCLinuxOS before, so can't tell for sure; my
guess would be yes, stuff break because new versions are prone to
introduce regressions. Note that this happens in cooker, which is
indeed a rolling distro.

--
Ahmad Samir