[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Margot margot at otfordduckscomputers.co.uk
Tue Oct 5 19:42:55 CEST 2010

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 09:44:53 -0400
Marc Paré <marc at marcpare.com> wrote:

> > However, changing to a "light" rolling distro would force other
> > users, who don't necessarily want these updates (or, don't want
> > to pay for all the bandwidth for these updates, because they
> > are happy with the version they have) to download them.
> >
> >> Other distros are now trying this model, only for browsers as
> >> I now.
> >>
> >> We can run a poll for select what are the programs in that
> >> list, and then the devel team must tell us what programs can
> >> be upgraded due technical reasons and what programs can't do.
> >>
> >> My own favourites list is:
> >>
> >> Openoffice (LibreOficce?)
> >
> > So, you want to force everyone to download 300MB of packages,
> > because you want a few new features?
> >

> We were just reminded in another thread that many users are still
> using dial-up services. I think we should also keep this in mind.
> It would be nice to know, even if you are just speaking in terms
> of your knowledge of your country, if dial-up service are
> prevalent in your country.
>
> The update or do a rolling update may have a huge impact on these
> users.
>
> In Canada, dial-up is still used but high speed hookup is the
> norm.
>
> Marc

Very few people in the UK are still using dialup, BUT there are
lots of people who are using netbooks with mobile broadband while
out and about. Mobile broadband in this country has very restricted
bandwidth, and if you go over your allowance it's very expensive!

I doubt if mobile broadband users will be running cauldron on their
netbooks - possibly they will be brave enough to use cauldron on a
home machine but they will need the stable version on the netbook
so they have access to business records while they are away from
home/office - but it needs to be easy to switch off/opt out of
updating automatically every time there's an internet connection so
that netbook users don't have to waste precious bandwidth on an
update for OpenOffice.

I know a couple of netbook users who have had problems with
automatic Windows updates running in the background on their
netbooks eating all their bandwidth and I wouldn't want Megeia
users to suffer the same fate.

--
Margot