[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Tue Oct 5 20:56:54 CEST 2010

Le mardi 05 octobre 2010 à 20:17 +0200, Ahmad Samir a écrit :
> On 5 October 2010 19:53, Tux 99 <tux99-mga at uridium.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Ahmad Samir wrote:
> >
> >> I looked at the description that Michael gave. And I think I know what
> >> a rolling distro is having Cooker and all :). light/heavy makes no
> >> sense here.
> >
> > I give up, i'm not sure if it's a communication problem or if you are
> > simply pretending not to understand to wind us up.
> >

> Well, according to you I don't understand what you're saying, and also
> Michael doesn't understand what you're saying, but maybe it's
> coincidence?

Well, let's try to be constructive.

For all people interested into having a rolling release or a core based
distribution, I propose that they write a document explaining :

- the release process ( ie, what you put on iso )
 - based on what criteria
   - time based ?
   - regular snapshot ?
   - features based ?
- how to decide what packages are upgraded day to day
  - what criteria for what kind of upgrade ( version upgrade, patch
upgrade )
  - what procedure for upgrade ( test stage, direct upgrade ? )
  - for how long
  - how are updates built ( ie, against what tree )
- what packages are not upgraded , unless there is a release, if there
is one
  - what criteria warrant the stability of this component
  - how do we decide it will be upgraded

Once people are able to produce this document, we will all be able to be
on the same wavelength.

--
Michael Scherer