[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 19:52:05 CEST 2010

Op woensdag 06 oktober 2010 16:55:48 schreef Tux99:
> Well, I don't think we will ever come to an agreement especially as it
> seems that former mdv devs here seem to be very reluctant to change
> anything about the release cycle.
>
> Personally as a future Mageia packager I will try to concentrate on making
> backports (apart from maintaining some specific packages) so in a way I
> will be helping to make Mageia in practice a sort of 'light' rolling
> distro as suggested by a few people in this thread.
>
> But I just want to say that based on my experience spending time since many
> years on several Linux forums (not specifically Mandriva ones), I can say
> for sure that the majority of 'normal' (non-geeks) users FEAR AND EVEN
> HATE distro upgrades, they just want to be able to install new versions of
> apps, not risky complete distro upgrades.
>
> So a one year release cycle with lots of app backports (and maybe a kernel
> backport mid-cycle if there is important new hardware support) is IMHO the
> best release cycle for 'normal' users.

you are correct, people don't like to upgrade live; they fear it.

however, i've been upgrading (first by just changing urpmi sources and updating
everything) and later by clicking the upgrade_applet.

i must say that there used to be some smaller issues which can be solved by
rebooting (which you should do after upgrades anyway, because of kernels); but
lately, i didn't see any troubles with clicking upgrade_applet at all. (and
this for 3years or so...)