[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Thu Oct 7 16:58:42 CEST 2010

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, nicolas vigier wrote:

> > It's the focus that changes, currently with Mandriva backports are a
> > barely known unsupported afterthought.
> > With a light rolling release scheme backports would be supported with
> > regards to security fixes, since backports would be the preferred way to
> > provide security fixes.
> > It actually reduces workload since instead of the Mageia devs having to
> > create themselves security patches for older releases, we just use the
> > newer version of the sw from upstream that already includes the security
> > patches.
>
> So what you're asking is basically to remove the updates repository
> because you don't need it ?

The updates repo won't be removed since it's still needed for
security updates for the core distro packages, which won't be updated
to  newer versions during a release cycle, only the apps that don't have
child dependencies (and where there are no major version changes with
incompatibilities).

> But what about the people who don't need new versions, but want stability
> and security updates ?

As many people here have said already, version updates doesn't
automatically mean instability and/or incompatibilities, in fact such a
risk is very small, as anyone who has used backports in Mdv can confirm.

Someone who needs absolute stability (for example for important
servers), will always use other distros that specifically focus on that,
like Centos.

We cannot cater to everyone, I'm assuming that Mageia is primarily an
end-user desktop distro (like Mandriva was) so we might as well improve
it for that purpose.

If we try to cater for everyone we won't excell in anything, everything
will be compromises and the result will be mediocre.