[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Greg Harris glharris at panix.com
Thu Oct 7 17:14:57 CEST 2010

  On 10/7/2010 11:00 AM, Michael Scherer wrote:
> Le jeudi 07 octobre 2010 à 10:22 -0400, Greg Harris a écrit :
>
>> You hit the point precisely. Mandriva's backports was a terrific idea
>> that does not succeed because (1) it is disabled by default and the
>> means to enable it as an update medium are made obscure by intention and
>> design and (2) the strange attitude taken, by some maintainers at least,
>> that anyone using backports is on their own ("Backports are not
>> supported!").
> Well, when the backport was made without asking to developers first ( as
> it happened with gwibber back at mandriva ), yes, the only thing I can
> say is "I do not support it, because I didn't do it, nor was able to
> test it correctly'.
>
> If we tell "we do not have the ressources to fully test a backport, so
> let's not do it", people are unhappy.
> If we say "ok, here it is, but we didn't test, you are on your own",
> people are unhappy.
>
> As said by sinnerBOFH, if people want better backports, this requires
> more ressources, there is no magic.

I certainly agree, and mean no disrespect to you and other maintainers
who generously contribute their time and energy. But the Mandriva
implementation of backports is not a solution for those who want a
continuously updated distro. It works for me and I appreciate that it's
there. But if you are going to design a new and appealing alternative,
the effort required to make backports really known and useful needs to
be taken into account.