[Mageia-dev] Talk of Browsers

Renaud MICHEL r.h.michel+mageia at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 00:29:57 CEST 2010

On jeudi 07 octobre 2010 at 23:39, Sorteal wrote :
> Why are we even talking about removing Konqueror??  So many people use
> it as their default file manager and ftp client that removing it seems
> crazy.  While I do agree that Konqueror is not the greatest web browser
> around and Rekonq is a much better choice for a pure Qt/KDE browser, I
> do not think we should be excluding Konqueror at all.

I don't think anybody suggested to remove konqueror, but rather to provide
firefox as the default browser on a new install.
Although I prefer konqueror, I think it is reasonable as most people expect
to have firefox (and I use it for the few sites that I visit and render
badly in konqueror (actually, it is more about javascript than rendering)).

> Plus, Dolphin still requires certain parts of Konqueror to function
> correctly if I'm not mistaken.

Right, but those parts are in separate libraries which can (and will) be
installed without installing konqueror itself.

> While at first I found Dolphin rather weak in comparison to Konqueror,
> as far as file management went, it has improved over the last couple of
> years.  Now, I actually prefer Dolphin over Konqueror when it comes to
> file management but I still use Konqueror for ftp or when I need a all
> in one kind of tool.  If Konqueror could render web pages as well as
> Rekonq, Firefox, or Chromium I'd definitely use it as my default web
> browser.

There is a webkit kpart which can be used instead of the standard khtml one.
In mdv2010.1 it is provided by package webkitkde.
I think I read somewhere that it was greatly improved in KDE 4.5 (or was it
during a summer of code after KDE 4.5 release?) with better KDE integration.

--
Renaud Michel