[Mageia-dev] What do you think about create a Mageia Welcome Center?

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Fri Oct 8 21:44:57 CEST 2010

Le 2010-10-08 09:46, Florian Hubold a écrit :
> Am 30.09.2010 12:34, schrieb Olivier Méjean:
>> Le jeudi 30 septembre 2010 12:19:43, Robert Xu a écrit :
>> Is a survey necessary ?
>>
> It's not really necessary. For example, in mandriva my laptop had no
> internet
> when booting the first time, as my wireless needs a firmware. So i never
> completed the survey, and as it only started on the first boot, mandriva
> never got any real data from me. Maybe when the infrastructure is up
> and some releases were made, this can be discussed again.

For these installations, there could be a case made for preparing an
initial form, with the users consent of course, that could be
transmitted later, again with user knowledge and consent.

It is still to Mageia's advantage, both from a development point of view
and marketing point of view, to be aware of the instances of installations.

It doesn't have to be an accurate amount, for that matter, it could be
an approximation of the amount of installations. This could also be done
at the point of download monitoring, as suggested elsewhere, with unique
IP's being taken into account.

I am more in favour of doing both, but more interested of the "at
installation" and filling a short survey for Mageia stat purposes. This
is a more concrete way measuring user participation in the project.

Marc