[Mageia-dev] Proposal: Updating released versions (long post)

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Sat Oct 9 22:19:56 CEST 2010

Marc Paré wrote:

> I guess both of your suggestions would work André and Margot.
>
> So, this sounds like it could be something that could be worked out. I
> would prefer, as a user, Margot's process. Of course the user would
> have to be able to see the usage and re-claimed space due to his use
> or Backports. Just to keep informed.
All of this is way more complicated than it needs to be.

The original proposal included a provision for leaving the post-release
backports packages on the backports mirror when a newer backport of that
package arrived, so that the older version could be downloaded if needed
for a rollback.

I left out the option to cache old packages on the user's system
precisely to avoid arguments about space, but if you combine the two,
i.e. check the user's system and go to the mirror if it's not there,
then you can do something relatively simple, such as automatically
deleting local versions of packages after a certain amount of time.

No need to prompt the user since the old package can always be retrieved
from the mirror, and it will be transparent to the user (except for
slightly slower response) where the package came from.