[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 12 00:50:04 CEST 2010

2010/10/12 Balcaen John <balcaen.john at gmail.com>:
> Le lundi 11 octobre 2010 14:02:16, Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> [...]
> You can always release a new install cd every 6/8/12 months even if you're
> using a « rolling distro » .

Yes, but it will never be as exciting and will not get the same
attention as a new release of a distribution. You ever read about a
Archlinux Beta or release party coming up? With a new release you have
some improvements, a new design (maybe), some new features - all
together at the same day. A rolling release is not exciting, it is as
boring as my wrist watch (radio controlled, solar cell powered, no
maintenace during the last 8 years). It does its job, no negative nor
positive surprises.
That's why people who regard their computer as a tool to get things
done will prefer a rolling release, while others who are interested in
the system will possibly turn to normal releases.

Of course this has nothing to do with technical reasons, I only wanted
to add this piece of thought.