[Mageia-dev] Mageia repository sections, licenses, restrictions, firmware etc

Olivier Méjean omejean at yahoo.fr
Tue Oct 12 17:53:54 CEST 2010

Le mardi 12 octobre 2010 17:02:38, Anssi Hannula a écrit :
> Hi all!
>
> == What about patents?

Software Patents are allowed or not according to the country. Here in France,
where Mageia.org, the association is based, the rule is softwares are not
eligible to patent so i would say that there is no need to apply restriction

> == And DVDCSS, etc?

What's in etc ?
However, here in France we have a law "Dadvsi" on which the Conseil
Constitutionnel (something like American Suprem Court) has statuted that the
law could not prevent exception of decompilation and the exception of
circumvention of DRM if this is for interoperability. In other words the use
of libdvdcss is allowed for interoperability.
So for me, Mageia can come with libdvdcss and other tools for interoperability

About codec, you may know that VLC is based in France and hosts some projects
useful for interoperability. Since the start of the project in 1996, i don't
remember VLC being sued for such projects. So let's provide codec by default
with Mageia for a better "user experience" :)

These are my first comments

Olivier