[Mageia-dev] Mageia repository sections, licenses, restrictions, firmware etc

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Tue Oct 12 18:19:40 CEST 2010

Quote: Ahmad Samir wrote on Tue, 12 October 2010 18:07

> Mageia won't be installed only in France; those patents still apply in
> other countries so not all patent restrictions can be dropped.

Nobody know the laws of every country in the world.

Just because some software might be covered by patents in a FEW countries,
you want to make users in the rest of the world suffer the inconvenience
of not having proper multimedia support out of the box?

I think Mageia should include as much multimedia codecs as possible, it the
user's responsibility to know the laws of his/her country and if necessary
uninstall anything unlicensed/illegal in his/her country.

--
Mageia ML Forum Gateway: http://mageia.linuxtech.net/forum/