[Mageia-dev] Mageia repository sections, licenses, restrictions, firmware etc

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Tue Oct 12 19:31:21 CEST 2010

Le 2010-10-12 12:54, Lucien-Henry Horvath a écrit :
> Le 12/10/2010 18:42, Marc Paré a écrit :
>>
>> Unfortunately, if this is done, I will no longer be able to install
>> legally any Mageia due to our laws. I think it is best if these are
>> not installed but let users know where to get them, mostly through PLF.
>>
>> When I install Mandriva Free for people, I will let them know where
>> the PLF repos are and the files needed and they install these themselves.
>>
>> If Mageia packages include unlicensed software and codecs, the Mageia
>> brand may be held legally responsible for marketing software in
>> countries where the laws do not permit this. I don't really think
>> would be a wise decision.
>>
>> Marc
>> Canada
>>
> The problem with a modification of packages with PLF post an initial
> install is that we are not absolutely sure to clean/drop/definitively
> destroy the "patent compliant packages" ... the dependencies between rpm
> are in cause.
>
> I have not done the count, but often it is not possible for me to
> uninstall certain packages because after installation they come in the
> dependencies of others. But the unique reason of presence is not because
> they are usefull, but only this binding dependencies.
>

> I think now to a sort of option to choice just at the beginning of first
> install. A question like : "Do you need patent free packages or want you
> cool packages" ?
> - If response 1 : Mageia install only the legal compliances packages,
> - if 2 ... the legal packages are not installed and we have the easy to
> use package for easy to use OS (VLC with DVD for example, nvidia drivers).
> With that, all the world is satisfied ;-)
>
> Is it possible ?

Hi Lucien, this is not directed to you but to the discussion on this thread:

There was actually nothing wrong with the Mandriva treatment of repos.
It clearly satisfied everyone's expectation of their installation. It
became a matter of user choice. By installing, by default, non-licensed
software you are not giving the user the choice. You are then targeting
a group of users who can install without legal consequence. If Mageia.ca
or Mageia.us etc. decided to organize, then as entities, they would then
become liable for the publication of illegal software. In Canada, they
are a little more lenient than in the US. I cannot imagine anyone
organising such a group in the US where they would accept liability for
this.

If there is a choice of installing non-licensed software, then it should
be done at the user level and not at the Mageia level. Non-licensed
software will not be accepted by any educational establishments,
business, government, associations ...

The safest route is to offer FOSS software (they are well known and many
have had their code audited) and leave the "fringe" softs on a repo that
is left to the users' choice as install.

I thought that PLF were on board with the Mageia project. Does anyone know?

Marc