[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Thu Oct 14 06:20:32 CEST 2010

Quote: Fernando Parra wrote on Thu, 14 October 2010 05:59

> Sinner from the Prairy wrote:
> >
> > We should publicize more Backports.
> >

> And I shall reply over and over again, backports isn't a
> solution, maybe it's a technical solution, but it isn't
> The Solution.
>
> The end users need to do less than now for to get new versions
> of their favourites applications.
>
> Mageia needs to offer more than other distros, much more, in a
> different way. If we aren't to be able to make a completely new
> concept, we are in a serious risk to become in other distro at
> that sea called GNU / Linux.
> --
> Fernando Parra <gato2707 at yahoo.com.mx>

I agree with what Fernando says, if we could agree on a release cycle that
is half way between the fixed release cycle of Mandriva/Ubuntu/Fedora/Suse
and the rolling release cycle of PClinuxOS/Gentoo, then Mageia would
attract a lot of interest in the Linux world do to it offering something
new and compelling rather than the same as everyone else.

The results of the poll on mandrivauser.de seem to indicate a strong wish
in this direction too, almost half of the voters voted for an annual
release cycle with a partial rolling release cycle, i.e. exactly what was
suggested in this thread earlier, a stable core updated once a year (apart
from security and bug fixes) with new app versions made available during
the whole year.

http://www.mandrivauser.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=188&t=29694

--
Mageia ML Forum Gateway: http://mageia.linuxtech.net/forum/