[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at multilinks.com
Thu Oct 14 15:27:03 CEST 2010

On Thursday, 14 October 2010 04:59:52 Fernando Parra wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 08:20:40 -0400
>
> Sinner from the Prairy <sinnerbofh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
wrote:
> > Fernando Parra wrote:
> > > (Finally, it would not be as strict versions of certain components. If,
> > > for example morning out mageia 2010 (for instance) and the day after
> > > Firefox 4.0 comes out, you do not run the 3.6.x version with all the
> > > time,)
> > >
> > > That's very clear, these users are trying to say: "We want a different
> > > model, but we want a stable distro"
> >
> > As we have been saying over and over again, this only indicates zero
> > knowledge of backports repositories.
> >
> > We should publicize more Backports.
> >

> And I shall reply over and over again, backports isn't a solution, maybe
> it's a technical solution, but it isn't The Solution.

What aspects of the Mandriva backports solution are not satisfactory?

-The fact that not everything is available as a backport?
-That users don't know how to request a backport?
-That too many backports are available?
-That all users don't get them by default?
-That users doing network installs by default don't get the backport on
initial installation?
-That users aren't aware of backports?
-Something else?

Please provide some *CONSTRUCTIVE* criticism, or the people who have been
doing the effort of *PROVIDING* the backports, as well as using them, will
probably just write you off as not knowing what is available.

IMHO, backports is relatively successful. No one who has criticised backports
has provided a valid reason, that takes into account what it *does* provide,
indicating where it fails.

> The end users need to do less than now for to get new versions of their
> favourites applications.

Less than 'urpmi --searchmedia Backports chromium' ?

Or, should it be more obvious in rpmdrake or similar? How about commenting on
my proposal for UI change in rpmdrake making backports more obvious?

> Mageia needs to offer more than other distros, much more, in a different
> way. If we aren't to be able to make a completely new concept, we are in a
> serious risk to become in other distro at that sea called GNU / Linux.

Again, before we can decide what *more* we should do (what significant
resources we need to commit), maybe we should first understand why the
existing features (which have significant effort behind them) are not
resulting in user satisfaction.

Regards,
Buchan