[Mageia-dev] Mageia repository sections, licenses, restrictions, firmware etc

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Thu Oct 14 22:27:41 CEST 2010

> Questions about patents is related to which law applies to Mageia. No answers
> to which law then no clear policy can be applied.
>
> For me, since Mageia.org will lead the project (and will own Mageia
> trademarks) is located in France, since build system of Mageia will be in
> France then French law is the law we have to consider for Mageia. Debian runs
> under SPI organization located in the state of New York, USA, thus is ruled by
> US Laws.

As we keep going round in circles, do we have anyone on-board with firm
knowledge on international patent/licence laws in this domain (lawyer)?
Should we just check with the FSF.org and they could give us an opinion
on this? Maybe someone from the Mageia core group could check behind the
scenes with the FSF?

If anything, the laws of most countries adhere to the notion that "being
ignorant of the law is no excuse". If we are to put "questionable"
software on different servers, we should maybe get crystal clear facts
on the ramifications of doing so. How did the other distros go about
making their decisions? I would check with the MAJOR distros, as this is
what Mageia is all about. People all over will clamour for our distro.
We are going to be a MAJOR and influential distro. So we should behave
this way as well when we are setting up our mirror network.

So, it sounds to me, that a core group individual, should, as an
official representative of the Mageia project, approach these
organisations and FSF to check and to get advice/opinons. Just to make sure.

Marc