[Mageia-dev] Mageia repository sections, licenses, restrictions, firmware etc

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 14:36:46 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 11:40, Tux99 <tux99-mga at uridium.org> wrote:
> [...]

Ok. This is, again, going nowhere. We don't even follow who is trying
to make what point.

> On Fri, 15 Oct 2010, Romain d'Alverny wrote:
>> Who talks about marketing here? Please stay on topic. Misc is talking
>> about official representatives, board members liability - not only in
>> France, but abroad. We're not in Merovingian times where one was
>> judged according to his original land's law.
>
> Assuming that a board member get's arrested in the US because Mageia

Who talks about being arrested or "frightened"?... Being liable and
being arrested are two distinct things...

>> There is no guarantee that we won't setup affiliate not-for-profit
>> orgs abroad.
>> Etc.
>
> If for this reason Mageia has to be a crippled mediocre product then all
> these precautions were a wast of time and efforts too.
> There is no point in making a grand, legally sound structure for a
> useless product with a fading community.

I don't understand your point, neither your attitude here...

> A successfull Mageia would strive to take advantage of the countries
> with the best laws for it's interest rather than plan according to the
> lowest common denominator.

Who said that was the plan?...

>> wouldn't have located the association in France. There are other
>> places far more interesting in this regard.
>
> And if you want Mageia to be really successful you should take advantage
> of those places.

Yes, right. :-) You know better the picture/history we (founders) are
in. We're not going to incorporate right now at the other end of the
world. :-)

>>  - what do we _want_ to have in software repositories and _why_?
>
> Easy, we want the best distro possible, with the best possible out of
> the box experience,

That is a very vague statement. "I want it all". However, we will get
to that in time, see my previous post (yesterday) about the goal(s) of
Mageia.org.

>>  - what are legal constraints that we must deal with
>> (building/packaging/distributing/using), and how?
>
> We should strive to take advantage of the best legal environment to make
> our targets possible.

Sure. In a sustainable way.

>>  - how can we make this a predictable process for future situations?
>
> No one can predict the future, laws change all the time so the only way
> is to base ourselves on current valid laws and keep frexible to move to
> a better legal environment if necessary.

This was not relative to laws only, but to the project mission first.

> Opportunities not fear should be the key word here.

Who speaks about fear? we're speaking about finding a policy for the
project here.

And I believe we are all able to _discuss_ this calmly without being
offensive... Again, this conversation is going nowhere.

Please, guys, post a _proposal_ for comments somewhere in a fixed
format (blog, wiki page, anything) before proposing it for comment in
a mail discussion. Or... make sure to frame the conversation, in
topic, in time and in language.

Cheers,

Romain