[Mageia-dev] Q: how long should we able to upgrade from?

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 18:07:54 CEST 2010

On 16 October 2010 13:33, Luca Berra <bluca at vodka.it> wrote:

> I maintain some package that has multiple spec and initscript hacks to
> allow upgrading since 2005LE to current cooker (i.e. postfix). I really
> believe it is too far and that some should be pruned.
> The question is, how long should we maintain suck
> hacks in packages?

2005LE???
even in MandrivaLinux, you should have care only about 2008.0, 2009.1,
2010.x, CS4 & MES5
See http://www2.mandriva.com/en/support/lifecycle/
As for Mageia, I would say we shouldn't care about the past but for
the smooth upgrade path.
Aka we shouldn't care if packages aren't backportable on anything
older than 2010.1 but we should care about updating mdv
2009.1/2010.x/CS4/MES5 to mageia which should help packaging quite a
lot.
My 2 €cents