[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Sat Oct 16 21:29:29 CEST 2010

Le 2010-10-16 12:36, Ahmad Samir a écrit :

> But generally reporting bugs by proxy is always a bad idea, unless the
> guy who'll play middle-man can reproduce the exact same bug on his own
> box. You see, triage team / package maintainer / dev will ask for info
> about the bug, more than once depending on the bug itself; now Mr.
> middle-man will have to go to and fro a lot of times, taking info from
> the user and posting it in bugzilla then taking questions/info from
> the bugzilla and conveying it to the user; now that's a tedious and
> tiresome job that's very prone to failure. (it's like a friend being
> sick and instead of him going to the doctor he sends you on his behalf
> because "you know the symptoms" :)).
>
> It's much better to help the user formulate a useful bug report,
> that's easier / more productive for all involved parties.

There would be no middle man. Once the middle-man could replicate the
bug and verify the bug with other users, then the middle-man would
submit to bugzilla. That's it. From there on, the middle-man will take
care of testing requests from devs.

As far as reporting back to the original user who reported the bug, as
an extra gesture of kindness, the middle-man would just post on the
"Report a bug" forum that the bug has been quashed or is still under
review ... but not to the user but to the "Report a bug" forum.

The idea is to keep the flow of possible bug reports coming in an
organised way. The middle-man would have to be someone with a little
more experience than that of a new user and also someone who has an
interest in working this way. We will get more bug reports from users by
keeping it simple and easy.

Marc