[Mageia-dev] Mirror tree structure

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Thu Oct 21 00:44:16 CEST 2010

* Remy CLOUARD (shikamaru at mandriva.org) wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 06:34:24PM +0200, Olivier Thauvin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The peoples/ directory is dedicated to contributors and must allow
> > anyone to share files related to the distribution (testing rpms,
> > preworks) in an unofficial ways.
> > How this can be setup in practice still have to be discuss.
> Hi, I would like to ask some details about this:
> As some of you might know, I’m using awesome for a window manager and
> have been providing RPMS for quite some time for it on my website.
>
> May I use the peoples repository to provide it as well as a customized
> cairo (with xcb enabled) ?

As a mirror manager I say yes: I'll discuss with sys-admin team about
how we can setup this, with a per user disk space limit (to avoid
issue).

From a project point of view it is veey different. The mirror tree is
what some people will see about Mageia and I do think:
- people content must be related to mageia
- everything that can be included in the distrib must provide as RPMs
  using BS
- people content must respect our policies.

In a nutshell: this must be discuss. Having a people is at time just an
idea, but it solve a need I had in mandriva to provide some rpms for
testing purpose.

> Will users be able to add this as another repository ?

I don't know any process to deny someone to push hdlists and rpms.
However I don't think it is a good idea to use this space as an
alternative to oficial mageia. The risk is to confuse people.

Also, I'd like to notice this space is not a way to provide your own
project, there is platform for that (sourceforge, zarb, gnu, etc...)

--

Olivier Thauvin
CNRS  -  LATMOS