[Mageia-dev] Mirror tree structure

J.A. Magallón jamagallon at ono.com
Thu Oct 21 01:43:23 CEST 2010

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 18:34:24 +0200, Olivier Thauvin <nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Now come the question: "what is a valid mirror ?", eg, what a mirror
> should have as file to be valid ?

Some ideas (probably silly ;)).

Why don't you split mirrors in 2 categories:
- Software (RPM) repo mirrors, available for network install or urpmi.
  (distrib+people+software).
- ISO mirrors. Avaliable for torrenting or ftp. MDV2010.1 release isos are
  about 15Gb. With 2 releases per year, thats 30Gb per year, 200 Gb on 6
  years. Some places can just mirror this...you lower the 700Gb to 500,
  not bad.

so mirroring can be done by version (or was this what you wanted to avoid?).

BTW
<nitpickin>
- could you kill the final 's' on all the names ?
  distribs -> distrib
  iso (you didnt named it 'isos')
  peoples -> people
  software (not softwares)
- could you not mix case in names (SRPMS <-> x86_64), just srpms...
- could be the arch names more uniform ? in my personal scripts/setups
  I use x86-32 and x86-64. Moreover, perhaps in a not so near future some
  adventurous soul builds Mageia on ARM or Sparc, so why not sort things
  like
    distrib/cauldron/srpm
    distrib/cauldron/x86/32/iso
                           /rpm
                        /64
                    /arm/32
                        /64
                    /sparc/32
                          /64
  The drawback is that ISOs are in the same tree so no separate mirroring
  is possible, but I think you didn't want this anyways.

All this renaming in case it is not some kind of standard for tree layout
or the like...
</nitpickin>

Just my 2€cent, you will judge...

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()ono!com>     \               Software is like sex:
                                         \         It's better when it's free