[Mageia-dev] Mirror tree structure

J.A. Magallón jamagallon at ono.com
Fri Oct 22 00:26:48 CEST 2010

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 17:16:06 +0100, Buchan Milne <bgmilne at multilinks.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 21 October 2010 06:37:37 Olivier Thauvin wrote:
> > * J.A. Magallón (jamagallon at ono.com) wrote:
> > > On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 18:34:24 +0200, Olivier Thauvin
> >
> > > - could be the arch names more uniform ? in my personal scripts/setups
> > >
> > >   I use x86-32 and x86-64.
>
> Is x86-32 a valid architecture for rpm etc.? While uniformity might be nice,
> unfortunately vendors don't necessarily choose uniform architecure names, and
> it might be better to match the repo structure to values that can be
> determined directly (and not heuristcally) .
>
> I've also never seen 'uname -m' report x86-32 or x86_32.
>
> > >   Moreover, perhaps in a not so near future some
> > >   adventurous soul builds Mageia on ARM or Sparc, so why not sort things
> > >   like
> > >
> > >     distrib/cauldron/srpm
> > >     distrib/cauldron/x86/32/iso
> > >
> > >                            /rpm
> > >
> > >                         /64
> > >
> > >                     /arm/32
> > >
> > >                         /64
>
> I don't know if memory address space is a useful differentiator here, as
> features differ substantially in different ARM cores of the same family or
> architecture version. E.g., Fedora has an 'armv5tel' architecture, N900 ships
> .deb's with 'armel' as the architecture. See
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture
>

> > >                     /sparc/32
> > >
> > >                           /64
>
> AFAIK, the valid architecture names for sparc are sparc,sparc64,sparcv9.

I was just thinking of people navigating the tree structure looking for what
to download and install. Directory names have not to be the same as RPMs
architecture, isn't it ? And is more neutral, you can decide you build the
distro for Pentium3 at least and dont have to change the folder names... ;)

And, btw, what brain-damaged mind got the names i386 and x86_64 ? Solaris on
x86 uses i86pc (arch -k). Somebody should try to push upstream (in rpm, perhaps)
a decent naming scheme [x86,x86-32] - x86-64, [sparc,sparc-32] - sparc-64.
You said that fedora on ARM uses esoteric arch codes, couldn't be possible
to use x86-32 and try to get it into upstream RPM ?

Looking for that info (where that thing was born), I found that this naming
scheme (x86-32,x86-64) is even described in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_64

so it looks not so insane after all...

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()ono!com>     \               Software is like sex:
                                         \         It's better when it's free