[Mageia-dev] Mirror tree structure

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Fri Oct 22 00:32:30 CEST 2010

* Michael Scherer (misc at zarb.org) wrote:
> Le mercredi 20 octobre 2010 à 18:34 +0200, Olivier Thauvin a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > You can find here:
> > http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/Mageia/
> > the current mirror tree proposal.
> > We now have to discuss it, I think.
> > The peoples/ directory is dedicated to contributors and must allow
> > anyone to share files related to the distribution (testing rpms,
> > preworks) in an unofficial ways.
> > How this can be setup in practice still have to be discuss.
>
> Like quota, etc ?

Yes.

> > Finally the software/ directory should allow you to distribute the
> > tarball (not rpm) for software we do. As soon we do free software people
> > must be able to distribute our code in the same way any projects does.
> > Replies like "svn is readable" or "we have rpm" is not appropriated.
> >
> > Now come the question: "what is a valid mirror ?", eg, what a mirror
> > should have as file to be valid ?
> >
> > I suggest to not give the choice and avoid mistake by saying except
> > "peoples" a mirror must respect the whole tree to be valid.
>
> I would also exclude software/ from regular mirror, because this may not
> requires as much redundancy than regular mirror ( ie, I doubt many
> people will download tarball on a regular basis, and most softwre
> project are fine with 2 or 3 mirror ).
>
> On the other hand, it may not add much overhead to mirrors anyway.

I like the idea to centralize everything from external point of view: eg
if you find a mageia mirror, you have everything.

> Something I would like to add is database dumps ( cleaned from password
> and private information, of course ), and maybe svn backup, stuff like
> that. So people who wish to fork our project will not have the same
> problem as we did.

I was thinking to push svn on mirror.

As potential problem, all these backup can add a lot of work and
bandwidth on mirrors. I am not against, I am in favor of this, but
just listing issues we can encoutered.

> And this would also provides use with a "linus t" backup system :p

BTW: the misc-backup.rpm is taking a lot of place :)=

> > This mean everything must exists with this structure under the top level
> > path.
> > This way may avoid issues like mandriva on ibiblio (only 2005 and 2007.1
> > seems to exists...)
> > ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/mandriva/Mandrivalinux/
>
> I would let people choose what they mirror based on version. Ie, someone
> could mirror the last version only, the 3 last, etc, etc.
>
> This will likely provides enough flexibility without sacrifing too much
> the simplicity.

In fact we have no way to deny to someone to do a partial mirror. The
question is from our point of view, do we encourage people to create
non testable mirror or untrusted mirror (not update enough to ensure
last security update get sync).

It also make difficult the listing (eg having a gazillon of url for each
distrib, which is the current problem of easyurpmi).

--

Olivier Thauvin
CNRS  -  LATMOS