[Mageia-dev] Mirror tree structure

andré andr55 at laposte.net
Fri Oct 22 03:51:14 CEST 2010

Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> 2010/10/22 Olivier Thauvin<nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org>:
>
>> In fact we have no way to deny to someone to do a partial mirror. The
>> question is from our point of view, do we encourage people to create
>> non testable mirror or untrusted mirror (not update enough to ensure
>> last security update get sync).
>>
>> It also make difficult the listing (eg having a gazillon of url for each
>> distrib, which is the current problem of easyurpmi).
>>
> I think this is an easy one. Do it like it was done at Mandriva.
> Define what a "valid" mirror is, then list only "valid" mirrors.
> Besides that people can put up mirrors in any way they want and use
> them in any way they want. They are just not listed as "official
> mirrors of Mageia".
> Same happened with our Mandriva mirror. I wouldn't mirror the /debug
> branches, so I was told that my mirror was not official and it was
> taken from the list. Everybody was happy, the maintainers of the list,
> me, and all people who used my mirror (it was not crowded, even at
> release time). A solution suitable for everybody.

Excellent point.  As you say, a solution suitable for everyone.
Although for elements which are unlikely to be useful and take up a lot
of space, it could still be useful to exclude them from the mirrors.

A variation of this could be, for mirrors constrained by disk space, to
not keep as many older releases.  For example, suppose releases are
every 6 months, supported for 3  years, for 6 supported releases.  Some
mirrors might only keep 4 releases, or maybe 2, and still be considered
official mirrors by Mageia.
This would be workable, as long as Mageia required a reasonable minimum
of releases.
(I would say at least 2.)
Of course, Mageia would have to specify which mirrors only contained
some supported releases.

my 2 cents :)
- André (andre999)