[Mageia-dev] Mirror list for apps (LONG mail)

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 20:04:59 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 19:47, Olivier Thauvin
<nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org> wrote:
[...]
> So, question and my own POV about this:
> 1) /etc/product.id
>  * I don't like this file, I think it is redundant with
>    /etc/mandriva-release

It appeared for several reasons, in order to have a consistent scheme
to identify several Mandriva products: an ISO release, a specific
media, a set of media, a physical product, etc. It used to be spec'ed,
but not properly reviewed, neither strongly/fully implemented. See
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/product_id (it never left the draft stage
actually).

It could have been only an int, or a hash string, putted against a
database to get a human readable label, but that would be then, less
human readable in the first place.

>  * Why "basic" and not "Free" since it is the "product" flag ? Dunno
>  * Notice "cooker" does not appear in this file

It could. But here, provided it's a stable release, "cooker" is not
supposed to appear.

Given the new situation, I suggest to use a /etc/release file, somehow
like the /etc/mandriva-release file, but being strongly structured
(/etc/mandriva-release wasn't, in the long run), so we can have at
least:
 - product name (Mageia)
 - version
 - arch
 - branch (or something stating the unstable/stable release state)
 - build number (in case of automated builds, someday).

with mandatory ones being product name, version and arch.

> [...]
> 3) The content
> [...]
>  * Do we need specific line for update since now distribution include
>    everything

If we happen to have mirrors that only mirror an update tree?

>  * Do we keep this format ?
>
> Keeping this format is more simple, just changing the line specifiying
> basis url in URPMI.
> By changing the the format we can add features, make it clearer, etc...
> But changing format to what ? XML ? YAML ? CSV ? something worst ? :)
> Changes can done later.

It's not an optimal format, but it looks simple and good enough. What
would be needed to extend/change it?

Romain