[Mageia-dev] Mirror list for apps (LONG mail)

Fabrice Facorat fabrice.facorat at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 20:05:04 CET 2010

2010/11/3 Olivier Thauvin <nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org>:

> Keeping this format is more simple, just changing the line specifiying
> basis url in URPMI.

And allow to keep compatibility with urpmi without maintaining too much patch

> By changing the the format we can add features, make it clearer, etc...
> But changing format to what ? XML ? YAML ? CSV ? something worst ? :)
> Changes can done later.

if really you want to change this you should :
- ditch the url in favor of a XML-RPC or REST calls
- by doing this you will be able to user whatever version or name for
the distribution. Indeed by using an url, you have to avoid space, or
too fancy names. On top of that you can change too much the format

So product.id could be kept unchanged, but the way urpmi talk to the
mirror provider could be improved.
Last but not least, by using XML-RC or REST calls, we could filter the
output of mirror list ( for example retrieve the list of mirror for
cooker in EU zone )

--
Close the World, Open the Net
http://www.linux-wizard.net