[Mageia-dev] sync with mandriva

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Mon Nov 8 14:27:38 CET 2010

Le lundi 08 novembre 2010 à 13:46 +0100, Romain d'Alverny a écrit :
> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 12:46, Ahmad Samir <ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Well, I thought that a new distro could afford discussing again some of
> >> the choices that have prooved to be problematic in the past thus my msg.
> >> I'm not sure that history is so important that opinion of people who
> >> will manage that in the future.
> >
> > IIUC, history in this contest means "the reasoning behind
> > rejecting/accepting it", i.e. instead of doing the research from
> > scratch we can take it from where it ended the last time it was
> > discussed and re-evaluate the pros and cons.
>
> Right, but again, is there a doc or a pointer to that? Because a
> "remembered point of view" holds for nothing. Thank you Google, here
> it is: http://lists.mandriva.com/maintainers/2007-12/msg00198.php .
>
> Either way we are going, it should be at least documented and (a
> little bit) argumented, especially if it get debatable.

When I was tasked with blino and boklm ( or teuf ) to take care of this
part, we were told that the priority was to have something soon so we
can have a iso out in less than 6 months, so
1) we are not seen as vaporware
2) group other than packagers are able to start their work.
3) the full process of doing a release can be validated and documented
before being changed

We can of course rediscuss the build system before deploying ( last
time, it took something like 2 months ) and then wait on people sending
patchs ( last time, it also took a lots of time, proof is that mdv still
use the old BS ).

Or we can simply deploy what we have, as this is the fastest option.

So if anybody want to make change right now, no problem, just send
patchs against the puppet configuration ( who is on
svn://svn.mageia.org/svn/adm/ for anonymous checkout ), we will review
and apply them.

--
Michael Scherer